The use of stickers when chatting with friends or in groups has become a natural thing for WhatsApp users today. With the sticker feature, of course all expressions can be channeled and make conversations more exciting.
How to Make Moving Stickers on WhatsApp
The stickers used can vary, from meme stickers to cartoons to moving stickers. This time, we will provide a tutorial on how to make homemade moving stickers that you can later enter into the WhatsApp application.
1. The process of making a moving image (GIF)
Here we will create a moving image in gif format. This process is quite long and the most time consuming, so you have to spend a lot of time here.
There are two ways to create a moving image. The first is to create a moving image from a video, the second is to create a moving image from a combination of several photos (at least 3 photos).
To make a moving sticker, we can’t use just any moving image, we need a moving image with a blank background (the background has been removed), and this actually makes the process of making moving images for stickers more complicated and long.
Here we will make a gif from a photo because photos are easier and tidier in the process of removing the background than videos. In addition, the gif from the photo will also be lighter, thus saving quota when used as a sticker.
Ok, let’s go ahead, here we will create a moving image from a combination of 4 photos (maybe more, but it will take a long time to process).
1.1 The process of removing the Photo background
- Download the ‘PicsArt’ application on the Google Play Store or click on the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picsart.studio . Once installed, tap ‘open’ to run the application.
- Once open, you can log in using your Google or Facebook account. If you don’t want to log in, just hit the ‘Skip’ button on the top right.
- On the app homepage, tab the ‘Add’ button at the bottom center. Then tab the ‘All Photos’ button.
- Select a photo that will be used as a moving sticker.
- Swipe to the left of the menu bar at the bottom, then select the ‘Remove’ menu tab. Then select the outer part of the object that will be used as a sticker. If you have, tap the arrow button at the top right.
- Tap on the ‘preview’ or eye symbol to see which parts are not tidy.
- If any part is not selected, use the ‘restore’ tool and select the area. To adjust the size of the selection, press the brush symbol and set the size as desired.
- Instead, use the ‘erase’ tool if any of the outside of the photo is still visible. To adjust the size of the selection, press the eraser symbol and set the size as desired.
- When finished, tap the ‘Save’ button at the top right.
- This is optional, you can add an outline or line outside the sticker to make it look neater. Tap on the ‘Edges’ menu tab and adjust the thickness. I would recommend setting the thickness to just 20.
- After so tap the ‘Check’ button at the top right.
- To save this edit, use the ‘arrow’ button on the top right and select share to ‘Gallery’.
- Tap on the ‘Done’ button.
Until here you have just finished removing the background from one photo, repeat the steps above for the next few photos.
1.2 Fix the main focus position of the photo
Usually a photo that has been removed from the background will have a different “center” position. For that, you can tidy up the position of the image first so that later the animation movement will run smoothly. Follow these steps:
- Open the ‘PicsArt’ app and tap the ‘Add’ button at the bottom center.
- Scroll down until you find the ‘Background Color’ tab. Then choose a background with a checkerboard pattern.
- Once open, swipe left and then tap the ‘Add Photos’ menu tab.
- Then select a photo that has been removed from the background and tap the ‘Add’ button at the top right to go to the editing page.
- Position the object using the ‘Resize’ button at the bottom right. Make sure the object fits snugly between the right and left of the checkered background.
- If you have, tap the ‘Check’ button at the top right.
- Save your work by pressing the ‘arrow’ button on the top right and selecting share to ‘Gallery’.
Again, repeat this step for the rest of the photos, making sure that one photo is positioned the same as the other. So that the moving animation can look smooth.
1.3 Merge the photo into a moving image (GIF)
After all the images are ready, it’s time to combine them into one moving image or GIF. To make it, you can follow the steps below.
- Download the application ‘Gif Maker’ or directly click on this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.media.zatashima.studio . Once installed, tap ‘open’ to run the application.
- Tap ‘Allow’ when the app asks for storage permission. Then, select the menu tab ‘Image to Gif’.
- Tap on the ‘All Images’ button and select the ‘PicsArt’ folder.
- Select the images to be Gif, make sure to select the images according to the order. Next, tap on the ‘tick’ button at the top right.
- Play the GIF. If it’s too fast, you can adjust the duration using the ‘Speed’ feature and slide the time bar that appears.
- We can also change the direction of the animation. Just use the ‘Directions’ feature and choose the direction you want.
- Once satisfied with the result, tap on the ‘tick’ button at the top right. Then set the rightmost GIF size and select the quality to ‘Media’.
- Select ‘Ok’ to save the GIF that you have created.
The following is an example of the results of the gif that I have made:
2. Change the size and format of the moving image according to the provisions of WhatsApp
The WhatsApp application cannot read GIF format stickers, so we have to convert it to WebP format . Also, the allowed size is 512 x 512 px, so if your GIF is bigger, you will need to reduce the size.
Below will be explained as well as the process of changing the size and format. Just consider the steps below.
- Open a browser and visit the ezgif.com website, then select the ‘WebP’ menu.
- Press the ‘Select File’ button and select the moving image (GIF) that we created earlier.
- Make sure the uploaded file is correct, then press the ‘Upload’ button
- Press the ‘resize’ menu, then set the length and width to 512px (don’t use a size more than this, because WhatsApp can only read stickers with a maximum size of 512px). If so, tap the ‘Resize Image’ button.
- Scroll down to the “Resized Image” section. Here you can see the resized results, then tap the ‘convert’ button at the bottom of the image then select ‘convert to WebP’.
- After entering the new page, select ‘Convert to WebP’. Wait a moment, then scroll down.
- At the bottom you will see the conversion results to wepb in the “WebP image” section. Here tap the ‘Save’ button and select ‘Download’ to save the result.
- At this point you already have a moving image in accordance with the provisions of WhatsApp. The next step is to make the image as a sticker.
3. Saving the moving image as a Moving sticker on WhatsApp
- Open the WhatsApp application and ask your friend to send a sticker. Make sure you have never gotten the sticker or saved it in the collection tab before.
- Now, open the ‘File Manager’ application and go to the ‘Internal Storage -> WhatsApp -> Media -> WhatsApp Sticker’ folder.
- If there are lots of stickers, tap the ‘more’ button on the top right and select sort by ‘Time’.
- Copy the name of the sticker that your friend sent you earlier. How to copy it, you can write down the paper manually, or you can press and hold on the file, tap the ‘other’ button, then select ‘Change name’. In the Rename box, ‘select’ the file name, then select ‘copy’. After that press back to return.
- Still in the ‘File Manager’ application. Go to ‘Internal Storage -> Downloads’ folder. Here, look for the webp file that we downloaded from the ezgif website earlier. Press and hold on the file, select the “Rename” menu. Then paste or enter the file name that we took earlier.
- Next, select and copy this webp file, then re-open the ‘Internal Storage -> WhatsApp -> Media -> WhatsApp Sticker’ folder. Once in the “Whatsapp Stickers” folder, press the paste button. If a notification like this appears, press ‘Overwrite File’.
- After that, close this file manager application. Also close your WhatsApp application.
- Next, go to phone settings, then open application management. Then go to the ‘Application List’ and select the ‘WhatsApp’ application. (FYI, every cellphone brand has different Android variants, so the appearance and naming of the menu can be a little different).
- On this ‘WhatsApp Application Info’ page, select the ‘Storage Usage’ menu and clear ‘Cache’. ( Don’t choose the delete data button! Because if the data is deleted then your entire chat history can be lost ).
- Return to the ‘App Info’ page. Tap ‘Force Stop’ and if there is a notification like the following select ‘Force stop’. This step will make the WhatsApp application reload the sticker that we changed.
- Next, reopen the WhatsApp application and enter the conversation menu with the friend who sent the previous sticker. It will be seen if the sticker that your friend sent has turned into an animated sticker that you made before.
- The next step is to save this sticker in the Favorites menu so that it can be used in the future. Here tap the sticker, then select the ‘Add To Favorites’ menu.
- Done. At this point the moving sticker has been successfully saved in your WhatsApp application.
To ensure that the sticker can actually be used in the future, you can follow these steps. Tap the ’emoticon’ icon on the left, enter the favorites menu, make sure the sticker was here.
Making this moving WhatsApp sticker is indeed quite complicated and takes a long time. Even so, we can enjoy homemade stickers and share them to groups or to WhatsApp friends as entertainment.
Hopefully you can understand the explanation earlier and practice it well, if there are steps that you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to ask questions via the comments column below.